Manage episode 215508328 series 1918426
Webcomics wild things Dave Kellett and Brad Guigar are joined this week by lawyer-to-the-comics-stars, Katie Lane. She has some advice on attempting the elusive “working vacation.” THEN she discusses the legal questions that perennially haunt creative professionals, like how does one find a good lawyer? NEXT, she tackles work-for-hire contracts and right of first refusal. FINALLY, she shares some priceless advice… avoid one-size-fits-all legal advice. There’s no, one “right way” to do this.
BUT FIRST, as Brad shares his plans for a road trip to Michigan to visit his family, Dave recalls the family trips of his youth.
- 00:00 — Brad preps for his road trip to Michigan to visit his family, and Dave remembers the family road trips of his youth
- 03:28 — The concept of the working vacation
- 06:13 — The search for Floyd Lake
- 09:12 — Introducing Katie Lane
- 12:10 — Katie makes her move to replace Brad when he, inevitably, gets lost.
- 12:22 — The elusive working vacation — is it possible?
- 17:52 — Brad’s briefcase — sexy or too sexy?
- 20:53 — Katie’s working-vacation plan… get just one thing done
- 24:12 — How does one become a lawyer-to-the-comics-stars?
- 28:13 — How does a cartoonist find a good lawyer?
- 34:20 — Understanding a Work For Hire contract
- 38:38 — Understanding Right of First Refusal
- 53:00 — The importance of asking questions… it doesn’t make you look unprofessional or uninformed!
- 55:22 — Katie warns about one-size-fits-all legal advice. There is no “right way” to do things. Risk management is a much more important focus
- 56:34 — Brad quizzes Dave on the most-often-asked legal question we get asked at comic conventions. It starts with an E and ends with an S… except it doesn’t.
- 529 — Everyone is afraid of having their copyright stolen. Is it a reasonable fear?
- 01:00:17 — Katie Lane’s new Skillshare series, Contracts for Creative Freelancers
$2 — support the show
$5 — submit a question for possible use on the show AND get the exclusive ProTips podcast
$10 — record an audio question for possible use on the show AND get the exclusive ProTips podcast
$50 — Sponsor the show! We’ll read a brief promo for your comic/product and read it twice during the show AND you get the exclusive ProTips podcast