Manage episode 264010069 series 1337812
Welcome to episode 180 of the Sexology Podcast! Today I am pleased to welcome Dr. Sunny Motamedi to the podcast. In this episode Dr. Motamedi talks to me about how religion affects people’s sexuality, the connection between shame and religion and steps you can take to heal sexual shame.
Dr. Motamedi is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT) and has been blessed to be conducting therapy for 20 years. She has a Doctorate in Clinical Psychology from the Chicago School of Professional Psychology and additional training in Marriage and Family Therapy. Throughout her training she has received training in a vast array of areas within psychology including trauma therapy, couples therapy, sex therapy and mindfulness.
Growing up in Iran, Dr. Motamedi has had a lifelong interest on the effects of culture and religion on sexuality. She developed her unique method of body work that she uses on her clients, known as the Sunny Healing Method, a bottom-up approach. She uses the body to release trauma from the tissue and different parts of the body through chakra opening, visualizations and affirmations.
Dr. Motamedi is actively practicing in California helping both couples and trauma survivors.
In this episode, you will hear:
- How does religion affect people's sexuality?
- The way in which religion can separate body and spirit
- Looking at the connection between shame and religion
- Seeking support and navigating through these issues
- Steps you can take to heal sexual shame
- Changes you’ll need to make in your life to make progress
- How we can regulate our bodies
- How a relationship can play a role in the healing process
- Creating a safe space as a couple
- Understanding the nature and beauty of truly seeing another person's soul
- Determining what’s a good affirmation through this process
Find Dr. Motamedi online
Find me online:
Find me on social media:
Download my new ebook for free here:
101 Ways to Keep Your Relationship Hot:
If you are interested in booking a video counselling session with Dr. Moali:
Celebrating One Million Downloads
To celebrate hitting one million downloads I am giving away a bottle of Uberlube to anyone who writes a review on iTunes. Simply take a screenshot of your review and email to me or send as a DM to my Instagram page. Thank you for helping Sexology Podcast hit one million downloads!
Podcast Produced by Pete Bailey - http://petebailey.net/audio