Manage episode 226687157 series 2394558
Welcome to episode 109 of the Sexology Podcast! Today I am delighted to welcome Shannon McHenry, LMFT to the podcast. In this conversation, Shannon speaks to me about working with trauma and sexual assault victims, the challenges that sexual assault victims have with their sexuality and how partners can support their loved ones through this process.
Shannon McHenry, LMFT is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist with a specialty focus in childhood trauma, rape and battering, and PTSD. She is a trauma therapist in Los Angeles and works with clients in her offices in Los Feliz and Torrance.
Combining clinical experience with a passion to support women in repairing their relationships with themselves and others, she has supported many to create a long-lasting recovery from destructive behaviors. Call Shannon today to book your first appointment.
If you are struggling with recovery and would like to know more about Shannon’s services, contact her today for a free consultation.
In this episode, you will hear:
- How Shannon became interested in working with trauma
- The challenges that sexual assault victims have with their sexuality
- Physiological responses from trauma survivors
- Why victims of sexual might blame themselves and not seek the help they need
- How the idea of revealing clothing being the root cause of sexual assaults undermines men’s sophistication and levels of control
- The way in which alcohol and other substances can be used as an excuse for sexual assault
- Understanding that consenting to one form of sexual interaction doesn’t by default also mean consenting sexual intercourse
- What does sex look like for victims in the long term?
- How partners can support their loved ones through this process
Podcast Produced by Pete Bailey - http://petebailey.net/audio