Manage episode 189719506 series 1322615
Welcome back to to Episode #33 of That's So Maven! After a 5 day trip to NYC, I'm so happy to be back home and continuing to interview some incredible humans making waves in the wellness community. Today's guest, Jessamyn Stanley is no exception.
From Jessamyn's bio: "Jessamyn Stanley is a yoga teacher, body positivity advocate, and writer based in Durham, North Carolina. Jessamyn uses high energy vinyasa flow as a way to move past mental and emotional barriers. Her classes provide a body positive approach to yoga which celebrates students' bodies and encourages them to ask 'How do I feel?' rather than 'How do I look?' when practicing yoga."
This perfectly sums up Jessamyn and exactly the message she is advocating for. It was such a pleasure to talk with her and breakdown the prejudice that exists in the yoga community and beyond.
Here are just a few of the things we discussed:
- Jessamyn's journey and how she discovered yoga
- Why she thinks there is a lack of body diversity in the yoga community
- Body image and how she learned to accept her body
- Is the word "fat" derogatory and if not, can we use it?
- How we define health and if you can be healthy and fat
- The prejudice that exists in the health and wellness commmunity
- Advice for people who feel discriminated against for their body size
Items mentioned in this episode:
Join The Healthy Maven Tribe to ask questions and to find out who will be on the show before anyone else!
Please don't forget to rate + review in iTunes if you love the podcast. Your comments and subscriptions help us make the podcast best for you!
Follow Jessamyn Stanley:
73 episodes available. A new episode about every 9 days averaging 60 mins duration .