Manage episode 227996200 series 1345893
Demystify chronic wound care management with high yield pearls from wound care expert Dr. Elizabeth (Foy) White-Chu. She takes us through a simple yet thorough approach to manage complex chronic wounds. We discuss everything from selecting a dressing, to pain management, and what kind of water should you really use when cleansing a wound. Answers to all of these burning questions and more await you, so don’t waste anymore time! Press play and let Dr. White-Chu take you on a journey through evidence based practices for the management of chronic wounds. ACP members can visit https://acponline.org/curbsiders to claim free CME-MOC credit for this episode and show notes (goes live 0900 EST).
Full show notes available at http://thecurbsiders.com/podcast. Join our mailing list and receive a PDF copy of our show notes every Monday. Rate us on iTunes, recommend a guest or topic and give feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org.Credits
Written by: Carolyn Chan MD
CME questions by: Justin Berk MD
Produced by: Matthew Watto MD
Hosts: Matthew Watto MD, Paul Williams MD, Carolyn Chan MD
Guest: Dr. Elizabeth (Foy) White-ChuSponsor
- 00:00 Sponsor - ACPs MKSAP 18
- 00:25 Disclaimer, intro, guest bio
- 03:58 Guest one-liner, movie recommendation, favorite failure, career advice
- 11:40 Picks of the week
- 15:58 Sponsor - ACPs Medical Knowledge Self Assessment 18
- 17:50 Clinical case of lower extremity ulcer; describing a wound
- 21:04 Taking a wound focused history
- 26:28 Differentiating wound types
- 29:04 Edema and compression therapy; Should diuretics be used?
- 36:43 Description of the multi-component wrap
- 38:10 Counseling a patient about wound care and setting expectations for healing
- 41:29 High value options for each wound type
- 44:35 Gardening and wound bed preparation
- 51:32 A bit on silver therapy
- 53:40 Back to the case; Red flags in wound care
- 55:40 Culturing a wound
- 58:17 Instructions on how to write wound care orders
- 62:00 Rundown of topical therapies for wound care
- 65:04 Negative pressure wound therapy aka “wound vac”
- 66:14 How often are dressing changes needed?
- 68:27 Take home points
- 70:20 Outro
- 71:30 Carolyn gives a wound care PUN!
157 episodes available. A new episode about every 5 days averaging 61 mins duration .