Manage episode 227174045 series 1164795
This week, Rob had an intense, one-on-one conversation with Founder of The Glute Lab, Inventor of The Hip Thruster, and Author of many books including Bodyweight Strength Training Anatomy, Bret Contreras.
They covered everything from Bret's career and the importance of being authentic online to why training your glutes is so important and how to live a healthy life that you love.
Please leave us a review at http://reviewourpodcast.com
Do the 7 Day Paleo Reset
On This Episode:
- The 3 areas he's always striving to improve and prioritize at different times: personal fitness, business, and mental wellbeing.
- The fact that babies have to first learn functional movement such as how to engage their glutes and do a bridge before they can crawl.
- His process for helping people create individual workout programs.
- Standard exercises for strengthening your legs.
- Facts and myths about fat and muscle.
Bodyweight Strength Training Anatomy by Bret Contreras
Increase strength, build mass, burn fat, and define your muscles. With full-color anatomical illustrations, step-by-step instructions, and training advice, Bodyweight Strength Training Anatomy is the authoritative resource for sculpting your physique without free weights, machines, or expensive equipment.
Targeting all muscle zones and primary muscle regions—arms, chest, shoulders, back, core, thighs, glutes, and calves—Bodyweight Strength Training Anatomy presents 156 of the most effective bodyweight exercises that can be performed anytime, anywhere. With expert advice from renowned strength trainer Bret Contreras, you’ll learn how to modify, combine, and sequence exercises to ramp up your routine and avoid plateaus.
In depth yet practical, Bodyweight Strength Training Anatomy takes you inside every exercise through stunning anatomical artwork that reveals primary muscles worked along with the relevant surrounding structures, including bones, ligaments, and tendons.
Whether you are just beginning your quest for a better body or simply seeking a proven approach for training at home, on the road, or on the go, Bodyweight Strength Training Anatomy is a one-of-a-kind resource that you’ll refer to again and again.
About Bret Contreras
Personal trainer, speaker, author and inventor, Bret Contreras is considered to be the world’s foremost expert on glute training. He is the Founder of The Glute Lab, Inventor of The Hip Thruster, and Author of various articles and books including Bodyweight Strength Training Anatomy. Bret has his PhD in Sports Science and is a Certified Strength & Conditioning Specialist (CSCS).
Let Us Coach You On The Podcast!
Come on the podcast and let us be your coach for an hour on the show!
We talked about this a while back but we want you, the listener, to be a guest on our show by allowing us to be your personal coaches for a 1-hour call. Your call will be featured as an actual episode on our podcast but can always keep your identity hidden by changing your name because we know that our health is everything and some things we'd like to keep to ourselves.
Here's how you sign up:
- Go to http://openskyfitness.com/contact/
- Fill out your name, email address, and message
- In your message, please include:
- Your goals
- What obstacles you believe are standing in your way
- Your expectations and how you think Devon and Rob can help you
What You'll Hear on This Episode
00:00 Open Sky Fitness Introduction
1:15 Opening comments with Rob and Devon
1:30 Check out our previous guest interview: Building Body Confidence with the Fit Bottomed Girls - Ep. 236
2:00 The importance of really focusing on yourself 100% when you're sick so that you can heal quickly.
3:30 Devon's chicken soup recipe!
7:00 Check out our latest One-On-One Coaching Call: Why Happiness Shouldn't Be A Goal - Ep. 237 and learn how to be a client on the Open Sky Fitness Podcast!
9:00 Introduction to Bret Contreras
12:00 Various articles he has written, how his views on training has changed, and what he has learned over the years.
17:00 Regrets about what he has written in past articles including the glute myth.
20:00 His love for learning and how he's always digging for the right answers when he or someone is wrong about something.
21:50 The amount of fake people out there on social media and how to tell when someone is being authentic or not.
23:50 How he cares about his followers and wants to inspire and make them feel good rather than make them feel bad.
24:30 How he focuses on following his own standards and no one else's to be true to the life he wants to live.
26:00 The 3 areas he's always striving to improve and prioritize at different times: personal fitness, business, and mental wellbeing.
37:00 The fact that babies have to first learn functional movement such as how to engage their glutes and do a bridge before they can crawl.
42:00 His process for helping people create individual workout programs.
47:30 The truth about women's quads and how to get them strong and lean.
49:30 Standard exercises for strengthening your legs.
51:00 Facts and myths about fat and muscle.
55:00 How to be your most authentic self online - Bret's Dos and Don'ts.
1:01:00 How to be a good sport during physique competitions and be proud of your progress.
1:05:00 Why we shouldn't body shame other people.
1:08:00 How to live a healthy life you love enjoying your favorite things will being healthy still.
1:13:00 The importance of always staying humble no matter how much success you achieve or how popular you become as a personal trainer.
1:18:00 Being open-minded but skeptical as a researcher and professional to new facts and studies plus admitting when you were wrong to be honest and build trust.
1:25:00 Final comments with Rob and Devon
1:30:00 Tune into our next Coaching Call with Michael next week and learn how to be coached on the podcast!1
1:31:40 Open Sky Fitness Closing
RESOURCES MENTIONED DURING THE SHOW:
- Leave us an iTunes review
- Subscribe to our podcast and take your health to the next level!
- Join The Open Sky Fitness Podcast Group on Facebook
- Learn more about the Sky Fit Challenge
- Clean up your diet with our 7 Day Paleo Reset
- Contact Rob and Devon to apply for One-On-One Coaching Sessions
- Learn more about our new sponsor - ButcherBox
- Check out our previous interview: Building Body Confidence with the Fit Bottomed Girls - Ep. 236
- Listen to our latest One-On-One Coaching Call: Why Happiness Shouldn't Be A Goal - Ep. 237 with Clement
- Connect with Bret Contreras via:
- Check out The Glute Lab and follow on:
- Find out more about The Hip Thruster
- Get your copy of Bodyweight Strength Training Anatomy
- Learn The Real Secret to Success | A Gary Vaynerchuk
- Read Are Usain Bolt’s Sprinting Mechanics In Need Of An Overhaul?
- Check out Bret's article - 9 Points of Contention for Mike Boyle
- Read Bret's articles on T Nation
- Find out more about Charles Poliquin
- Learn more about The Montessori Method
- You might be interested in these other Open Sky Fitness Podcast episodes:
JOIN THE SKY FIT CHALLENGE!
CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE
The challenge consists of:
- 8 Weeks of Equipment Free Bodyweight Workouts in 20 minutes or less. (No gym membership required)
- SIMPLE Whole Food Meal Plan w/Tasty Recipe Cookbook Featuring 60+ recipes!
- Foolproof Schedule so you know EXACTLY what you’re supposed to do every day.
- Access to our New Private Facebook Group – Sky Fit Challenge Group to share your progress with everyone as well as receive support and be held accountable.
Do The FREE 7 Day Paleo Rest
Simply go to 7DayPaleoReset.com to sign up now
One of the best things you can do for your mind and body in your mission to get healthier is to focus on your nutrition. That's why we're allowing people to sign up now to join us for our next Free 7 Day Paleo Rest! It's all done via Facebook so no annoying emails that will fill up your inbox.
As part of the 7 Day Paleo Reset, we will provide you with:
- Introduction to what the Paleo Diet is all about
- 7 Day guide to easy Paleo recipes
- What batch cooking is and how to incorporate that into your lifestyle
- Various content resources including generational eating habits, the importance of building a wellness community, and how to begin a new healthy lifestyle.
- How to make an impact on your life and life a life full of wellness.
Look Out For Our Upcoming
Throw Back Thursday Podcast Episodes!
We'll be releasing new podcasts episodes on Thursdays that discuss previous episodes we've done, but we need your help! Go to the Open Sky Fitness Facebook Group and tell us what your favorite episodes are. Then, Devon and I will re-listen to that episode, pick out the best parts and share even more insights on the topic.
We won't just be regurgitating the same information over again. Since we began this podcast, there's so much more information out their on health, nutrition, fitness, and personal wellness. So, each Thursday we'll really just be going deeper into your favorite topics!
Claim Your FREE Bacon + $10 Off
With Our Sponsor - ButcherBox
That's right! By listening to the Open Sky Fitness Podcast, you get the chance to get a free order of bacon plus $10 off your first ButcherBox purchase!!
ButcherBox delivers 100% grass-fed beef, free-range organic chicken, and heritage breed pork directly to your door. Think of them as the neighborhood butcher for modern America.
Join The Open Sky Fitness Podcast Group!
That's right! We have a closed Open Sky Fitness Podcast group on Facebook where you and everyone have the opportunity to talk about your health and fitness goals in a safe environment. We post workouts and start discussions about how to be strategic about finding a healthier you. Check it out!
Start Building Your Own Workouts and Meal Plan!
Click To Download Home Workout Templates or text the word, "lifting," to 33444 to download the templates.
Have a Question or Review for Rob or Devon?
We love answering questions and getting feedback from you, our listener! If you have any questions to ask us, want to share a review of the show, or tell us any suggestions for guests/topics that you think would be great to have on the show, just email Rob at email@example.com or Devon at firstname.lastname@example.org or you can also leave us a review at http://reviewourpodcast.com ask a question in the closed Open Sky Fitness Facebook Group and even text OSFreview to 33444 to get the link.
Get Fit with Free Downloads!
Ask Rob a Question or tell him what is working for you: Email Rob@OpenSkyFitness.com
Support This Podcast
To leave a Review for Rob and the Open Sky Fitness Podcast CLICK NOW! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show and I read each and every one of them.
Contact our amazing sound engineer Ryan? Send him an e-mail here: email@example.com
Thanks for Listening! Thanks so much for joining us again this week. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post.
Do you have any questions (and would like to hear yourself on the Open Sky Fitness Podcast)? Click on the link on the right side of any page on our website that says “Send Voicemail.”
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates. It’s free!
Thanks for listening/reading episode 238 - Bret Contreras: Why Training Glutes Is So Important! We hope you have gained more knowledge on how to be a healthier you.