Manage episode 366867426 series 2421902
I am so pleased to welcome my old friend and repeat podcast guest Katy Bowman back to the show!
Katy is the queen of nutritious movement (check out her website here to connect with her and get a more movement-oriented lifestyle). Katy joins us to talk about her new book, Rethink Your Position, which deals with the many options we have as we move our bodies throughout everyday life and why “Maximalism of the body helps you achieve minimalism in life.” Aside from workouts, we also have an obligation to optimize movement in everyday life and I love Katy’s work on the goal of creating a dynamic workplace environment (you can enroll in her digital course, Don’t Just Sit There, by clicking here). Katy shares some interesting specifics in this show, like head ramping (a drill you can do to get your head aligned with your shoulders), the benefits of spending more time sitting and interacting with the ground, and her minimalist sleeping experience (including how she has gradually moved away from using even a pillow!).
Katy Bowman is an expert on movement and posture. [00:47]
If exercisers take a lot of downtime, sedentary time, it’s important to do it right. [06:03]
Specialization is necessary for competition, but it's not great for longevity. [10:35]
Our generation is not moving their body the way they used to years ago. One study says we spend 86% of our time inside and 7% in a vehicle. [23:46]
Our relationship with nature and our relationship with movement can’t really be separated. [26:32]
Supplementing in many areas is not really meeting our needs. [28:33]
You might have a physical malady and go for treatment, but you also need to look at fixing how you got the injury. [31:40]
In her new book, Katy has short essays divided by body parts so if you are focusing on the knees, for example, you go right to that chapter. [35:03]
Flexible seating in classrooms, workstations and even around the home is a low-cost way to keep in shape. [39:08]
Being seated on the ground is using different muscles in the body for support from those used when sitting in a chair. We are not very fluent in our physicality. [42:23]
So often when we are working on screens or reading, we position our head forward, in front of our ears, thus throwing our spines out. By learning the head ramps described by Katy, you will be in a better position. [51:09]
It is hard to separate age from length of habit. Forget about aging. Look at length of habit. [57:13]
Minimalist bedding experience includes no pillow. How does that work? [58:32]
How does Katy produce so much as a writer? [01:08:13]
- Brad Kearns.com
- Brad’s Shopping page
- B.rad Whey Protein Isolate Superfuel
- Don't Just Sit There - Online Course
- Primal Endurance
- Rethink Your Position
Join Brad for more fun on:
We appreciate all feedback, and questions for Q&A shows, emailed to email@example.com. If you have a moment, please share an episode you like with a quick text message, or leave a review on your podcast app. Thank you!
Check out each of these companies because they are absolutely awesome or they wouldn’t occupy this revered space. Seriously, Brad won’t promote anything he doesn’t absolutely love and use in daily life.
- Mito Red Light: Photobiomodulation light panels to enhance cellular energy production, improve recovery, and optimize circadian rhythm. Use code BRAD for 5% discount!
- NutriSense: Continuous glucose monitor and 1:1 expert support to help optimize diet choices and lifestyle behaviors. $30 B.rad discount!
- Marek Health: Comprehensive lab testing and expert tele-health support for peak performance. Use code “BRAD” for 10% discount!
- Plunge: Sensational custom-designed home cold plunge with filtered, circulating water, custom temperature setting, and sleek design. Save $150 with code BRAD
- LMNT Electrolyte Drink Mix: Tasty, sugar-free, scientifically formulated electrolyte drink mix with everything you need and nothing you don’t. Free sample pack, just click the link!
- B.rad Whey + Creatine Superfuel: Premium quality, all-natural supplement for peak performance, recovery, and longevity
- Male Optimization Formula with Organs (MOFO): Optimize testosterone naturally with 100% grassfed animal organ supplement
- Brad’s Macadamia Masterpiece: Mind-blowing, life-changing nut butter blend
- Online educational courses: Numerous great offerings for an immersive home-study educational experience
I have a newly organized shopping experience at BradKearns.com/Shop. Visit here and you can navigate to my B.rad Nutrition products on Amazon (Macadamia Masterpiece and Whey + Creatine Superfuel), my library of online multimedia educational courses, link to great discounts on an assortment of my favorite products and partners, complete details and discounts on my MOFO product with Ancestral Supplements, and a library of my favorite hand-picked Amazon products for fitness and healthy living!
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.